The 2022 call for volunteers for this committee is now closed. The next call for volunteers for national groups will open in July 2023 for terms beginning January 1, 2024.
Terms of Appointees
The individual appointed as Elections Committee Chair shall serve a three year term beginning Jan. 1, 2022.
The Elections Committee Chair shall be appointed from among those persons who, by reason of experience and knowledge:
- Is an APTA member in good standing in any class of membership other than honorary.
- Is not participants in any candidates' campaign for the years they are serving as committee chair.
- Is not a delegate or an alternate delegate.
The following skills have been cited by past Elections Committee Chairs as helpful to their success on the committee:
- Experience as a delegate
- A general knowledge of APTA national election structure
- Ability to maintain neutrality and confidentiality throughout the candidacy and election cycles
- Ability to anticipate challenges and propose solutions to House officers
- Remains calm and confident under pressure
- Is comfortable with technology
- Has 10 years of volunteer experience
Bylaws and Standing Rules Relevant to the Role of the Elections Committee:
APTA bylaws, Article VIII., Section 5, A. Officers of the House of Delegates, (2):
(2) The officers shall be responsible for registering delegates, transferring voting privileges, preparing rules of order and an agenda for the consideration of the House of Delegates, recording and reporting the proceedings, appointing the Committee to Approve the Minutes, making appointments to the Reference Committee, conducting elections, making editorial changes to the bylaws and standing rules, and performing other duties as determined by these bylaws or the standing rules.
APTA bylaws, Article VIII., Section 5, C. Voting, (3):
(3) Election of officers, directors, and members of the Nominating Committee shall be by ballot or use of electronic equipment. Officers shall be elected by a majority of the votes cast. Directors and members of the Nominating Committee shall be elected by a plurality of the votes cast. If the vote fails to determine election, reballoting shall be conducted under procedures determined by the Officers of the House of Delegates.
APTA standing rules, 13. Elections: Teller's Report:
The teller's report to the House of Delegates shall include for each position to be filled:
(1) The number eligible to vote.
(2) The number of votes cast.
(3) The number of votes necessary for election (for officers).
(4) The number of votes cast for each eligible candidate.
(5) The number of illegal votes, and the reason therefore.
APTA standing rules, 14. Vacancies: Officers and Directors, C:
Not withstanding Standing Rule 13(B), if a vacancy occurs on the Board of Directors as a result of an election, a second election shall be required. The Nominating Committee shall prepare the slate for the second election and additional nominations from the floor shall be in order.
All candidates who were slated for any position on the Board of Directors and were not elected in the first election will be slated in the second election unless they have indicated otherwise. Candidates who were not elected for the Nominating Committee shall not be automatically slated but may be nominated from the floor.
If you are interested in serving as the Elections Committee Chair, please stay up to date with the email address associated with your APTA Engage profile, as this is how we will be contacting you, if selected for the role. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.