- 2017 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures. Alzheimer's Association. https://www.alz.org/facts/. Accessed December 8, 2017.
- Annear MJ, Toye C, McInerney F, et al. What should we know about dementia in the 21st century? A Delphi consensus study. BMC Geriatr. 2015. 15(5). doi: 10.1186/s12877-015-0008-1.
- Forbes D, Forbes SC, Blake CM, et al. Exercise programs for people with dementia (review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(4). doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006489.pub4.
- Laver K, Dyer S, Whitehead C, et al. Interventions to delay functional decline in people with dementia: a systematic review of systematic reviews. BMJ Open. 2016;6(4):e010767. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010767.
- Lee HS, Park SW, Park YJ. Effects of physical activity programs on the improvement of dementia symptom: a meta-analysis. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:2920146. Epub 2016 Oct 13.
- Lewis M, Peiris CL, Shields N. Long-term home and community-based exercise programs improve function in community-dwelling older people with cognitive impairment: a systematic review. J Physiother. 2017;63(1):23-29. doi: 10.1016/j.jphys.2016.11.005. Epub 2016 Nov 27.
- Pitkälä K, Savikko N, Poysti M, et al. Efficacy of physical exercise intervention on mobility and physical functioning in older people with dementia: a systematic review. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48(1):85-93. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2012.08.008. Epub 2012 Aug 31.
- Rao AK, Chou A, Bursley B, et al. Systematic review of the effects of exercise on activities of daily living in people with Alzheimer's disease. Am J Occup Ther. 2014;68(1):50-56.
- McCarthy L. The evolving interconnectedness of three fields of study: falls, brain imaging, and cognitive therapy. Top Geriatr Rehabil. In press. 10.1097/TGR.0000000000000170.
- Dawson N, Judge KS, Gerhart H. Improved functional performance in individuals with dementia after a moderate-intensity home-based exercise program: a randomized controlled trial. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2017; (3). doi: 10.1519/JPT.0000000000000128.
You Might Also Like...
ArticleCode Pairing Edits: Four Things To Know
Jan 25, 2021
APTA successfully advocated for CMS to lift misguided coding edits, and we're working to bring commercial payers around.
ReviewStudy: Frequency, Duration of Acute Care Therapy Improves COVID-19 Outcomes
Jan 22, 2021
Researchers found that every additional 10 minutes of physical therapy was associated with improved mobility at discharge.
NewsFoundation for Physical Therapy Research Formalizes Relationship With APTA
Jan 22, 2021
The new agreement strengthens a longstanding relationship to support physical therapy research.