- 2017 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures. Alzheimer's Association. https://www.alz.org/facts/. Accessed December 8, 2017.
- Annear MJ, Toye C, McInerney F, et al. What should we know about dementia in the 21st century? A Delphi consensus study. BMC Geriatr. 2015. 15(5). doi: 10.1186/s12877-015-0008-1.
- Forbes D, Forbes SC, Blake CM, et al. Exercise programs for people with dementia (review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(4). doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006489.pub4.
- Laver K, Dyer S, Whitehead C, et al. Interventions to delay functional decline in people with dementia: a systematic review of systematic reviews. BMJ Open. 2016;6(4):e010767. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010767.
- Lee HS, Park SW, Park YJ. Effects of physical activity programs on the improvement of dementia symptom: a meta-analysis. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:2920146. Epub 2016 Oct 13.
- Lewis M, Peiris CL, Shields N. Long-term home and community-based exercise programs improve function in community-dwelling older people with cognitive impairment: a systematic review. J Physiother. 2017;63(1):23-29. doi: 10.1016/j.jphys.2016.11.005. Epub 2016 Nov 27.
- Pitkälä K, Savikko N, Poysti M, et al. Efficacy of physical exercise intervention on mobility and physical functioning in older people with dementia: a systematic review. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48(1):85-93. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2012.08.008. Epub 2012 Aug 31.
- Rao AK, Chou A, Bursley B, et al. Systematic review of the effects of exercise on activities of daily living in people with Alzheimer's disease. Am J Occup Ther. 2014;68(1):50-56.
- McCarthy L. The evolving interconnectedness of three fields of study: falls, brain imaging, and cognitive therapy. Top Geriatr Rehabil. In press. 10.1097/TGR.0000000000000170.
- Dawson N, Judge KS, Gerhart H. Improved functional performance in individuals with dementia after a moderate-intensity home-based exercise program: a randomized controlled trial. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2017; (3). doi: 10.1519/JPT.0000000000000128.
You Might Also Like...
ArticleTelehealth Billing and Coding Considerations
Jun 24, 2020
What you need to know about documentation, coding, and billing consideration when providing telehealth services.
ArticleImplementing Telehealth Into Your Practice
Jun 24, 2020
Using telehealth to deliver physical therapist services is expanding rapidly, and if you haven't already, you're probably considering it.
ArticleTaking Precautions for Mobility and Exercise
Jun 22, 2020
Mobilization, exercise, and ambulation are potential aerosol-generating procedures, and PTs and PTAs should have access to appropriate protection.