Log in or create a free account to keep reading.
Join APTA to get unlimited access to content.
- 2017 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures. Alzheimer's Association. https://www.alz.org/facts/. Accessed December 8, 2017.
- Annear MJ, Toye C, McInerney F, et al. What should we know about dementia in the 21st century? A Delphi consensus study. BMC Geriatr. 2015. 15(5). doi: 10.1186/s12877-015-0008-1.
- Forbes D, Forbes SC, Blake CM, et al. Exercise programs for people with dementia (review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(4). doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006489.pub4.
- Laver K, Dyer S, Whitehead C, et al. Interventions to delay functional decline in people with dementia: a systematic review of systematic reviews. BMJ Open. 2016;6(4):e010767. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010767.
- Lee HS, Park SW, Park YJ. Effects of physical activity programs on the improvement of dementia symptom: a meta-analysis. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:2920146. Epub 2016 Oct 13.
- Lewis M, Peiris CL, Shields N. Long-term home and community-based exercise programs improve function in community-dwelling older people with cognitive impairment: a systematic review. J Physiother. 2017;63(1):23-29. doi: 10.1016/j.jphys.2016.11.005. Epub 2016 Nov 27.
- Pitkälä K, Savikko N, Poysti M, et al. Efficacy of physical exercise intervention on mobility and physical functioning in older people with dementia: a systematic review. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48(1):85-93. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2012.08.008. Epub 2012 Aug 31.
- Rao AK, Chou A, Bursley B, et al. Systematic review of the effects of exercise on activities of daily living in people with Alzheimer's disease. Am J Occup Ther. 2014;68(1):50-56.
- McCarthy L. The evolving interconnectedness of three fields of study: falls, brain imaging, and cognitive therapy. Top Geriatr Rehabil. In press. 10.1097/TGR.0000000000000170.
- Dawson N, Judge KS, Gerhart H. Improved functional performance in individuals with dementia after a moderate-intensity home-based exercise program: a randomized controlled trial. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2017; (3). doi: 10.1519/JPT.0000000000000128.
Date: March 1, 2018
Content Type: Article
You Might Also Like...
FeatureOptimizing the Built Environment for Physical Activity
Apr 1, 2023
PTs and PTAs can play an important role in creating and supporting community spaces that encourage people to become and stay active.
FeatureOn the Pathway to Greatness
Apr 1, 2023
APTA's PTA Advanced Proficiency Pathways program provides skills and recognition for physical therapist assistants.
Members OnlyFitness and Wellness Solutions Provided by Active&Fit Direct
Apr 1, 2023
APTA members can stay active at home, a gym, or anywhere for just $25/month with the Active&Fit Direct program.