- 2017 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures. Alzheimer's Association. https://www.alz.org/facts/. Accessed December 8, 2017.
- Annear MJ, Toye C, McInerney F, et al. What should we know about dementia in the 21st century? A Delphi consensus study. BMC Geriatr. 2015. 15(5). doi: 10.1186/s12877-015-0008-1.
- Forbes D, Forbes SC, Blake CM, et al. Exercise programs for people with dementia (review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(4). doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006489.pub4.
- Laver K, Dyer S, Whitehead C, et al. Interventions to delay functional decline in people with dementia: a systematic review of systematic reviews. BMJ Open. 2016;6(4):e010767. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010767.
- Lee HS, Park SW, Park YJ. Effects of physical activity programs on the improvement of dementia symptom: a meta-analysis. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:2920146. Epub 2016 Oct 13.
- Lewis M, Peiris CL, Shields N. Long-term home and community-based exercise programs improve function in community-dwelling older people with cognitive impairment: a systematic review. J Physiother. 2017;63(1):23-29. doi: 10.1016/j.jphys.2016.11.005. Epub 2016 Nov 27.
- Pitkälä K, Savikko N, Poysti M, et al. Efficacy of physical exercise intervention on mobility and physical functioning in older people with dementia: a systematic review. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48(1):85-93. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2012.08.008. Epub 2012 Aug 31.
- Rao AK, Chou A, Bursley B, et al. Systematic review of the effects of exercise on activities of daily living in people with Alzheimer's disease. Am J Occup Ther. 2014;68(1):50-56.
- McCarthy L. The evolving interconnectedness of three fields of study: falls, brain imaging, and cognitive therapy. Top Geriatr Rehabil. In press. 10.1097/TGR.0000000000000170.
- Dawson N, Judge KS, Gerhart H. Improved functional performance in individuals with dementia after a moderate-intensity home-based exercise program: a randomized controlled trial. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2017; (3). doi: 10.1519/JPT.0000000000000128.
You Might Also Like...
PerspectiveOSHA Doesn't Play: Four Tips on Workplace Compliance During the Pandemic
Nov 25, 2020
OSHA has stepped up its enforcement efforts.
RoundupCoronavirus Update: Nov. 24
Nov 24, 2020
Hospitals at capacity, delirium in older adults as a COVID symptom, long-term lung infection, and more.
ArticleCultural Competence Resources: Individuals With Disabilities
Nov 24, 2020
The culturally competent practice of physical therapy includes practice with patients and clients who have mental or physical disabilities.