- 2017 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures. Alzheimer's Association. https://www.alz.org/facts/. Accessed December 8, 2017.
- Annear MJ, Toye C, McInerney F, et al. What should we know about dementia in the 21st century? A Delphi consensus study. BMC Geriatr. 2015. 15(5). doi: 10.1186/s12877-015-0008-1.
- Forbes D, Forbes SC, Blake CM, et al. Exercise programs for people with dementia (review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(4). doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006489.pub4.
- Laver K, Dyer S, Whitehead C, et al. Interventions to delay functional decline in people with dementia: a systematic review of systematic reviews. BMJ Open. 2016;6(4):e010767. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010767.
- Lee HS, Park SW, Park YJ. Effects of physical activity programs on the improvement of dementia symptom: a meta-analysis. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:2920146. Epub 2016 Oct 13.
- Lewis M, Peiris CL, Shields N. Long-term home and community-based exercise programs improve function in community-dwelling older people with cognitive impairment: a systematic review. J Physiother. 2017;63(1):23-29. doi: 10.1016/j.jphys.2016.11.005. Epub 2016 Nov 27.
- Pitkälä K, Savikko N, Poysti M, et al. Efficacy of physical exercise intervention on mobility and physical functioning in older people with dementia: a systematic review. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48(1):85-93. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2012.08.008. Epub 2012 Aug 31.
- Rao AK, Chou A, Bursley B, et al. Systematic review of the effects of exercise on activities of daily living in people with Alzheimer's disease. Am J Occup Ther. 2014;68(1):50-56.
- McCarthy L. The evolving interconnectedness of three fields of study: falls, brain imaging, and cognitive therapy. Top Geriatr Rehabil. In press. 10.1097/TGR.0000000000000170.
- Dawson N, Judge KS, Gerhart H. Improved functional performance in individuals with dementia after a moderate-intensity home-based exercise program: a randomized controlled trial. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2017; (3). doi: 10.1519/JPT.0000000000000128.
You Might Also Like...
PerspectiveAPTA 100 Days of Service Member Profile: Rodney Weir, PT, DPT, DHS
Oct 19, 2021
In celebration of APTA's 100 Days of Service initiative and National Physical Therapy Month in October, we're taking a look at some of our members' community
NewsLong COVID: Comparing the WHO Definition With CDC's
Oct 19, 2021
There are many similarities, but WHO's recent clinical case definition includes elements that are worth noting by PTs and payers.
NewsMajority of U.S. House Wants To Offset Medicare Cuts and Reform the Fee Schedule
Oct 18, 2021
In an APTA-supported letter to House leadership, a bipartisan group of lawmakers calls for immediate relief and longer-term fixes.