APTA's Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program (CCIP) provides clinical instructors (CIs) with the skills and information they need to provide students with the highest quality of clinical education. As students increasingly choose the physical therapy profession, the importance of effective and available clinical education grows.
Credentialed Clinical Trainers are responsible for helping the more than 2,500 CIs who participate in the CCIP every year to receive the clinical instructor credential.
The Level 1 and Level 2 Trainer course content focuses on adult and active experiential learning approaches. Participants are presumed to have a command of didactic content related to clinical teaching, supervision, and evaluation upon entering this course.
Credentialed Clinical Trainer Benefits
The benefits to participants, their employers, and the profession by becoming a Credentialed Clinical Trainer include:
- Support for career enhancement in areas such as promotion, tenure, educational advancement, and career ladder advancement.
- National recognition as a credentialed clinical trainer.
- Access to the credentialed trainer online community.
- Opportunity to network with other credentialed clinical trainers through an annual credentialed clinical trainer forum and update at Combined Sections Meeting.
- On occasion, if desired, to receive an honorarium for services of up to a maximum of $1,200 per course.
Awarding the Trainer Credential
Final decisions regarding the awarding of the clinical trainer credential are made by the Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program Work Group. The decision is based on successfully meeting established criteria as reflected by faculty evaluations, ability of candidates to accurately self-assess, and attainment of performance criteria.
Once the decision has been made to award the clinical trainer credential, participants are entitled to independently provide CCIP courses for academic programs, consortia, clinical sites, or other sponsors on request.
Credentialed Clinical Trainer Course
CCIP Level 1 and Level 2 Trainer Courses occur on a rotating basis every two to three years and involve three full days (Level 1) or two full days (Level 2) of training and interaction.
When the next Credentialed Clinical Trainer course is scheduled, information on dates and registration will be posted on this page.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.