Chronic Heart Failure Questionnaire (CHQ, CHFQ)
What it measures:
What It Measures and Conditions and Test Variations Included in This Summary:
- Health-related quality of life
- Emotional function
- 9 validated translations
- Use in hardcopy or electronic
- Chronic Heart Failure Questionnaire (CHFQ) mastery subscale - added 4 questions to assess mastery
- Modified-CHFQ - shortened versions of the CHFQ that assess specific subscales of the questionnaire
- This test measures both impairment and physical function.
- There are 16 items with scales of 1 to 7 assessing emotional and physical symptoms of heart failure.
- There are 3 subscales:
- Dyspnea: 5 items
- Fatigue: 4 items
- Emotional function: 7 items
This test measures disease-specific health-related quality of life and contains information on use of this test for patients with heart failure. The CHFQ has variations, but for this study specifically, the entire test/measure was used and no modified versions were considered.
- Body Structure and Function
Body Structure and Function
- b4109 Heart functions, unspecified
- b4409 Respiration functions, unspecified
- b134 Sleep functions
- Walking - d4509 Walking, unspecified
- Climbing stairs - d4551 Climbing
- House/yard work - d650 Caring for household objects
- Leaving the home - d4601 Moving around within buildings other than home
No free public access, and PERMISSION NEEDS TO BE SECURED from McMaster University (firstname.lastname@example.org) Any requests for the outcome measure can be made here.
Watch Video: N/A
Members Only Content
Join APTA to get unlimited access to content including evidence-based research, guidance on payment changes, and other resources to help you thrive. Learn more about membership benefits.
Already a member? Log in
Date: February 21, 2020
Content Type: Test & Measure
Eric Boehme, SPT; Cole Brown, SPT; Alfredo Mendoza, SPT; Tyler Mikami, SPT; Rachel Wismeth-Johnston, SPT; Andrew Mills, PT, DPT; Mindy Renfro, PT, DPT, PhD; Touro University Nevada
Sherry Colson, PT; William Stokes, PT, DPT
You Might Also Like...
CPGESC/ERS 2022 Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension
Oct 7, 2022
Focuses on how pulmonary hypertension (PH) may involve multiple clinical conditions and pose complications for the majority of cardiovascular and respiratory
CPGCanadian Cardiovascular Society 2021 Guidelines for the Management of Dyslipidemia for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in the Adult
Mar 26, 2021
Contains updated findings and recommendations including the use of non-fasting lipid determination as a suitable alternative to fasting levels.
CPGAcute Coronary Syndromes [NICE NG185]
Nov 18, 2020
Recommendations on how to improve survival and quality of life for people who have a heart attack or unstable angina.