Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System Global-10, PROMIS Global-10
What it measures:
PROMIS Global-10 is a newly validated 10-question survey used to assess health care-related quality of life measures for the general population. These measures include overall health, pain, fatigue, social health, mental health, and physical health, while focusing predominantly on the latter two.(1)
PROMIS Global-10 is 1 of more than 300 measures/questionnaires under the PROMIS initiative. Though PROMIS Global-10 itself has not been revised, it has been largely adapted from other frequently used "legacy" measures, such as SF-36 and EQ-5D (developed by EuroQol Group).1 Full item banks have been created for the 9 domains included in PROMIS, from which short item banks have been created. Each question of PROMIS Global-10 was then based off the short item banks.
Conditions & Test Variations:
This summary contains information on use of PROMIS Global-10 in patients or clients with current cancer, remitted cancer, stroke, shoulder arthritis, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, spinal cord injury, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, psychiatric disorders, upper extremity illnesses, systematic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and in the general population.(1-11)
The International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement lists PROMIS Global-10 in their recommended Standard Set of Stroke Outcome Measures.(8)
- Two dimensions representing physical and mental health underlie the global health items in PROMIS. These global health scales can be used to efficiently summarize physical and mental health in patient-reported outcome studies.(4)
- Evidence suggests that PROMIS Global-10 is not appropriate for all populations.(7)
- In populations, such as patients with stroke, PROMIS Global-10 can help provide a more detailed assessment of patient-reported outcomes and quality of life compared with other PROMIS domain scales. It also may allow clinicians to make comparisons across differing diagnostic populations and severity of pathology.(8)
- PROMIS Global-10 can be used to track patient outcomes across numerous health care disciplines and act as a useful screening tool, which is especially important for patients who may see numerous providers for complex conditions. However, PROMIS Global-10 may lack precision in specific domains, limiting its use as an independent PRO measure.(5)
- The patient's cognition plays an important role in all settings, particularly acute or neuro rehabilitation, due to the importance of using caregivers. However, caregiver responses may be biased, depending upon family dynamics.
- Cognition may need to be assessed prior to administering this self-report measure to ensure the patient has the ability to understand the questions.
- Due to the short amount of time it takes to complete PROMIS Global-10, it could be administered in various settings, regardless of length of stay (ie, acute care hospitals, inpatient rehabilitation, outpatient clinics).
You Might Also Like...
CPGThe First Global Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior Guidelines for People Living With Disability
Jan 3, 2021
This guideline presents 10 areas for advancing inclusive practice in physical activity and sedentary behavior for people living with disability.
Test & MeasurePenn Shoulder Score
The measure can be used as an outcome measure in clinical practice or research, or to aid clinicians in making decisions regarding patient care.
Test & MeasureFear Avoidance Beliefs Questionnaire (FABQ)
Measures fear avoidance beliefs associated with low back pain (LBP).