PTs Helping to Heal Survivors of Torture
Their numbers in the United States are higher than you might think. Here's what to look for and how best to meet their needs.
- World Confederation for Physical Therapy. Policy statement on torture. http://www.wcpt.org/policy/ps-torture. Accessed August 17, 2017.
- American Physical Therapy Association House of Delegates. Promotion of the World Confederation for Physical Therapy's Declaration of Principle Against the Practice of Torture. [HOD P06-10-13-11] Alexandria, VA: American Physical Therapy Association; 2010. http://www.apta.org/uploadedFiles/APTAorg/About_Us/Policies/Health_Social_Environment/PromotionWCPTAgainstTorture.pdf#search=%22torture%22. Accessed August 17, 2017.
- Amris K, Prip K. Physiotherapy for torture victims: treatment of chronic pain. Torture. 2000;10(4):112-116.
- World Health Organization. Classification and Minimum Standards for Foreign Medical Teams in Sudden Onset Disasters. http://www.who.int/hac/global_health_cluster/fmt_guidelines_september2013.pdf. Accessed August 17, 2017.
- Center for Victims of Torture. Updating the Estimate of Refugees Resettled in the United States Who Have Suffered Torture. http://www.cvt.org/sites/default/files/attachments/u11/downloads/SurvivorNumberMetaAnalysis_Sept2015_0.pdf. Accessed August 17, 2017.
- Olsen DR, Montgomery E, Bojholm S, Foldspang A. Prevalent musculoskeletal pain as a correlate of previous exposure to torture. Scand J Public Health. 2006;34(5):496-503.
- Buhmann CB. Traumatized refugees: morbidity, treatment, and predictors of outcome. Dan Med J. 2014;61(8)1-29.
- Arroll B, Khin N, Kerse N. Screening for depression in primary care with two verbally asked questions: cross sectional study. BMJ. 2003;327(7424):1144-1146.
You Might Also Like...
FeatureBattling Bias's Distorted Images
Oct 01, 2019
Looking in the mirror is the first step.
FeatureAddressing Social Determinants of Health
Jul 01, 2019
Health is affected by far more than the presence or absence of health care. PTs and PTAs can help improve the health of populations by using a wide array
FeatureManaging Patients Who Are Transgender
Jul 01, 2016
Patients who are transgender have certain unique needs. PTs are increasingly likely to work with this population. What do they need to know?