The Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program (CCIP) Level 2 course is designed for those people who have successfully completed the APTA CCIP Level 1 course and want to further develop their clinical teaching skills and construct a clinical curriculum.
The unique philosophy and design of the Level 2 course both applies and goes beyond the concepts of the structured learning environment of the Level 1 course to enable clinical educators to achieve the best outcomes for student learning.
Virtual Level 2 CCIP
The Level 2 CCIP is now available in synchronous virtual format. Click here for more information.
- Discuss the benefits and key components of a clinical curriculum.
- Advance clinical teaching concepts learned in CCIP Level 1, as applied to the novice-mastery clinical practice continuum.
- Integrate professionalism in a clinical curriculum that promotes the guiding principles to achieve the Vision for the Physical Therapy Profession and the core values.
- Diagnose and foster a student’s clinical reasoning.
- Outline a clinical curriculum to provide key learning experiences critical to patient and client management in the student's practice upon graduation and licensure.
Requirements for Taking the Level 2 Course
- Successfully complete the Level 1 CCIP credential (for other health care professionals, have earned Level 1 CEUs).
- Mentor, supervise and instruct of at least one student since completing the Level 1 CCIP credential.
- Complete an online registration for the course.
- Upload a copy of or provide a link to current license.
- Approval of registration, after review, by the course trainer.
- Complete course prerequisites, including a series of three online professional development modules and review of four journal articles from APTA’s PTJ.
- Course registration fees: ($100/members, $225/nonmembers and other disciplines).*
*Included as part of the course registration fee are the Level 2 Manual, Assesment Center, CI Credential (PTs and PTAs only) and CEU Certificates, CI Level 2 credential pin, and registry in the APTA database. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Taking the Assessment (for PTs and PTAs)
The Assessment Center provides an opportunity to apply information from the program in various simulated situations/stations. Successful completion of all stations in the Assessment Center results in the awarding of APTA Level 2 CI credentialing. Each participant must attend all sessions of the course and Assessment Center in its entirety to be eligible for credentialing.
PT and PTA participants have the ability to earn 1.7 CEUs and the APTA CCIP Level 2 credential. Clinicians from other health care professions who complete the CCIP Level 2 course are eligible to receive 1.3 CEUs, but are not awarded the Level 2 CI credential.
Note: Licensees should verify acceptance of CEUs with their state licensing board by reviewing the relevant state practice act and/or administrative code.
CCIP Level 2 Course Schedule
Contact the course registration person directly for information, including any possible additional course fees, and registration deadlines.
This schedule is regularly updated to include new course opportunities. Check back frequently to find upcoming courses in your area.
Learn how you can sponsor a course at your facility.
CCIP Level 2 Course Pre-Course Assignment
This pre-course work is to be completed before attending the CCIP Level 2 course. The assignment will prepare participants for the discussion and cases addressed during Section III: Professionalism of the course.
NOTE: All Level 2 courses are being held in a synchronous virtual format until further notice, and are not recorded.
View additional course information and register.
Earn CEUs While Updating Your Clinical Expertise
The CCIP offers a series of online booster modules intended for CIs who have already completed the Level 1 course. The modules do not replace Level 1 training, but rather address many areas in the Level 1 course and help boost an individual's knowledge and skills