The Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program (CCIP) is a voluntary program designed primarily for people interested in or involved with clinical education, such as clinical instructors, site coordinators of clinical education, and directors of clinical education. It is recognized by APTA as a Clinical Instructor Education and Credentialing Program.
Other health care providers who offer clinical education in a supervisory role to students, including physical therapists (PTs), physical therapist assistants (PTAs), and health care providers from other professions can use this program to enhance their clinical instruction education.
Virtual Level 1 CCIP
The Level 1 CCIP is now available in virtual format. Click here for more information.
- Plan and prepare for physical therapy students during their clinical education experience.
- Support continuing education through questioning and effective feedback.
- Acquire performance evaluation skills.
- Identify and manage students with exceptional situations.
- Recognize legal implications for clinical educators, including issues presented by ADA legislation.
Requirements for Taking the Level 1 Course
- Complete an online registration for the course.
- Upload a copy of or provide a link to current PT or PTA license (if applicable).
- Approval of registration, after review, by the course trainer.
- Course registration fee ($100/member, $200/nonmember).*
* Included as part of APTA's course registration fee are the Level 1 manual, Assessment Center, CI credential (PTs and PTAs only) and CEU certificate(s), CI credential pin, and registry in an APTA database. Additional fees by the sponsoring organization may apply to cover course related expenses. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Taking the Assessment (for PTs and PTAs)
The Assessment Center provides an opportunity to apply information from the program in various simulated situations/stations. Successful completion of all stations in the Assessment Center results in the awarding of APTA CI credentialing. Each participant must attend all sessions of the course and Assessment Center in its entirety to be eligible for credentialing.
PT and PTA participants have the ability to earn 1.6 CEUs and the APTA CCIP Level 1 credential. Clinicians from other health care professions who complete the CCIP Level 1 course are eligible to receive 1.2 CEUs, but are not awarded the Level 1 CI credential.
Note: Licensees should verify acceptance of CEUs with their state licensing board by reviewing the relevant state practice act and/or administrative code.
Experienced clinical instructors have the option to take the assessment for Level 1 without sitting through the course.
CCIP Level 1 Course Schedule
Contact the course registration person directly for information, including any possible additional course fees, and registration deadlines.
This schedule is regularly updated to include new course opportunities. Check back frequently to find upcoming courses in your area.
Learn how you can sponsor a course at your facility.
NOTE: All Level 1 courses are being held virtually until further notice.
View additional course information and register.
February 20-21, 2021
California Physical Therapy Association (CPTA)
March 13-14, 2021
Gray Therapy Education Consulting
April 9-10, 2021
St. Catherine University
April 15-16, 2021
Booster Modules for the Level 1 material are available in the APTA Learning Center to help refresh your skills and techniques. Earn CEUs while updating your clinical expertise.