An annual allows physical therapists to determine health status and identify health risks of individuals in their community.
Why Provide an Annual Checkup
Clients benefit: Physical therapists have the education, experience, and expertise necessary to provide a broad health screening to allow tracking the patient's health status over time. It also may lead to a referral for a physical therapist evaluation and treatment plan or to another health care professional for potential problems identified during the checkup.
Physical therapists benefit: An annual visit allows clinics to diversify their services, bringing in new clients and retaining current clients as physical therapists create ongoing relationships with their client base. It also diversifies the income string by providing a source not dependent on third-party payers.
Implementing an Annual Checkup
Follow these steps:
- Access the annual checkup form. Adult Template (.doc) | Pediatric Template (.doc)
Download the form and carefully review the instructions for use. (Note: There are separate templates for adults and children).
- Determine your referral network. The screening could identify risks or problems beyond your expertise or scope of practice.
- Determine how you will track results for each checkup. Whether you add data to the Annual Checkup Form Template or input into an electronic health record system, the value of the annual visit is emphasized by tracking the results over time.
- Determine payment for services. Checkups are often cash based services. APTA cannot suggest pricing for the checkup.
- Practice the checkup visit. Before implementing the checkup, practice on your colleagues to be sure that you feel prepared to efficiently perform the checkup, including having the necessary equipment and space.
- Market your annual checkup. Develop materials describing your annual checkup. Distribute them to your current patients and leave materials in the waiting room for family members. Encourage them to make a future appointment.
- Consider best practices. Strive to make the annual checkup a robust offering at your clinic and in your community.
Additional Annual Checkup by a Physical Therapist Content
Mar 05, 2019 / Article
The FDA generally regards oxygen to be a prescription drug.
Mar 01, 2019 / Feature
Patients are riding horses to therapeutic and rehabilitative success, led by PTs trained in hippotherapy.
Apr 01, 2018 / Feature
Do some of your patients resist exercise? Try making it joyful.
Jul 01, 2016 / Feature
Clinical reasoning skills can be strengthened at any age and at any experience level. Here's advice for both the recent graduate and the experienced practitioner.
Related Courses and EventsView more courses and events
October 22, 2018
$99 for APTA Members
APTA Membership saves you $70!
August 23, 2018
$300 for APTA Members
APTA Membership saves you $200!
August 10, 2018
$60 for APTA Members
APTA Membership saves you $40!